We believe that as a business we have a corporate and social responsibility to achieve good environmental practice, support the community, be considerate of our employees and customers and operate in a sustainable manner.
We are therefore committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral and fundamental part of our business strategy and operating methods.
It is our priority to encourage our customers, suppliers and all business associates to do the same.
Not only is this sound commercial sense for all; it is also a matter of delivering on our duty of care towards future generations.
Our policy is to wholly support and comply with or exceed the requirements of current environmental legislation and codes of practice in relation to the company’s corporate and social responsibility. In response to this we will monitor 5 main areas;
- The Environment
- The Community
- Equality and Diversity
- The Workplace
We aim to minimise the impact that our operations have upon the environment whether possible. Policies that reduce the wastage of energy and ensure that recyclable materials are disposed of appropriately within our offices have been implemented and all members of staff are encouraged to adhere to them.
We make extra effort to ensure that our buildings and vehicles are as energy efficient as possible, minimising consumption whenever possible. For example, timers fitted to lights and energy efficient bulbs throughout our buildings help to lower consumption.
Our environmental policy is effectively communicated throughout the business, the leadership team ensures that all staff are aware of our policies and training is in place, helping staff to realise the importance.
We work to ensure that our supplies and products purchased for use within the business are provided by ethical suppliers; sources that do not jeopardise human rights, safety measures or the environment,
We expect our suppliers to:
- Adhere to business principles consistent with our own.
- Ensure that their products and services are produced and delivered to comply with all legislation relevant to their business.
- Seek to maintain continuous improvement in their supply chain relationship with us.
- Ensure they adopt and implement acceptable safety, environmental, product quality, product stewardship, labour, human rights, social and legal standards in line with our own code and to ensure these issues are acceptably managed within the supply chain for any products supplied to us.
We will seek to work with our key suppliers to:
- Develop long-term meaningful relations to the benefit of both parties.
- Improve the quality, environmental performance and sustainability of goods and services where this can be achieved to the benefit of both parties.
Furthermore, Carter Law work ethically with our customers, and always aim to provide a service that is both honest and reliable. We actively seek to address any complaints raised about our business and promptly ensure they are resolved in a manner that is satisfactory to all concerned.
By actively supporting community investment initiatives, supporting charities, local organisations and sports team, Carter Law is able to give back to the community of which we are a part.
Our relationships with the communities that we serve are very important to us. When developing the services offered by the business, we aim to focus on improvements as a whole, rather than just for individual customers.
In line with our core values, our strategy within the community involves us having high levels of engagement with the immediate local community.
Carter Law also like to donate our time; our employees are encouraged to get involved in supporting their community, whether it is on an individual basis or as part of a larger team.
Some of the projects undertaken by our employees include working with schools and local employers in the Manchester area to help develop the employ-ability skills of school leavers.
Our employees have also previously led workshops for homeless people, teaching literacy and computer skills and assisting them in applying for jobs – amongst many other projects.
We also provide work experience for university students as well as supporting mentoring schemes and giving career talks for students considering the law as a profession, and have exhibited at the Manchester Law Fair.
We have done and continue to take part in fundraising, sponsorship, events and making donations to charities such as;
- Warley Cricket Club – Race Night Sponsorship
- PRO AM Kits for Parrswood Celtics
- Dragon Boat Racing with the local Chinese community
- Rochdale Harriers, sponsorship of local running group
- Joint Council for the welfare of immigrants, donations and support
- Movember Foundation, fundraising
- Poynton Sports Club, sponsorship for new floodlights
- Muslim Aid, charitable donations
- Islamic Relief, charitable donations
- AL Gilani Centre, charitable donations
- Be Inspired, charitable donations
- Breast Cancer, fundraising events
- Noor Ul Islam, charitable donations
- Coppice Rangers, sponsorship to help buy a new minibus
- Heal, charitable donations
- Pendle Hospice, fundraising events
- Manchester Woman’s Aid, fundraising events
- Cancer Research UK
Equality and Diversity
Carter Law is committed to promoting the principles of equality and diversity.
Equal opportunities means maximising employee potential and ensuring that all employees and job applicants receive equal access in relation to employment, terms and conditions, training, promotion and services.
Diversity is about recognising, respecting and valuing the differences between individuals. It means treating people as individuals and accounting for inequalities and disadvantages.
We are committed to playing a leading role in the promotion of quality of life and equality of opportunity and diversity in our own organisation and across the profession through;
- Committing to create and maintain a safe and healthy working environment for our employees
- Striving to create a workplace in which there is mutual trust and respect and where every person feels responsible for the performance and reputation of our company.
- Respecting the individual and each other’s rights, customs and traditions including the right to freedom of association and the right to decide whether or not to join a trade union and will negotiate in good faith with the properly elected representatives of its employees.
- Work towards achieving a diverse workforce, recruiting, employing and promoting employees only on the basis of objective criteria and the qualifications and abilities needed for the job to be performed.
- Maintain good communications with employees through our information and consultation procedures.
- Assist employees in realising their potential.